Godley is a city in the northwest part of Texas located in Johnson County. It's about 17 minutes from Cleburne. Homes for rent allow families to dive into some seafood cuisine at Chisholm's, go swimming at nearby Lake Charca or take a trip to Cleburne for shopping and dining.
Facts for Renters
Godley was founded in 1886 by R.B. Godley. Godley was a lumber merchant from Cleburne who donated eight acres to create a town and 20 acres to create a right-of-way to the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway. The railroad station was also built in 1886.
Prior to building the railroad, the Johnson County Commissioner created the Godley Independent School District in 1884. In 1899, Godley College was built, later becoming Godley High School. A gymnasium and an auditorium were built by 1939 and helped expand the campus. The auditorium later turned into a library. The new main building was built in 1940, creating a sizable campus for a rural community. As a result, many other local towns moved their students into the Godley School District. The school held all grades until 1967 when the elementary school was built.
In 1888, progress had helped the city grow. Godley had three cotton gins, a grist mill and two dairy-processing plants. It had two general stores by 1890. By 1920, the city had approximately 20 businesses operating.