Explore Houses for Rent in Big Bear City, CA
Big Bear City is located in the San Bernardino National Forest next to Big Bear Lake. Homes for rent in this community are surrounded by gorgeous mountains and lakes, perfect for those who love the great outdoors.
Facts for Renters About Big Bear City and San Bernardino
- Big Bear City is on the shore the easternmost tip of Big Bear Lake. The first dam for the lake was made of rocks and was built in 1885.
- The community's beautiful surroundings made it a popular site for filming movies. For instance, Gone With The Wind, both the 1920 and 1936 Last of The Mohicans films, and Doctor Doolittle all did on-location filming in the region.
- Because it has both mountains and a lake, the area is popular as a resort. In 1888 the first hotel was built. The oldest lodge still standing today is the Oak Knoll Lodge, which opened in 1920.
Resources for Renters
- Renters interested in aviation will enjoy the website for the Big Bear Airport District. It has information on the annual Air Fair as well as rates for various services.
- Big Bear City has its own solar observatory. To learn more about the facility and its findings, renters can go to its Web page.
- The community provides utilities through the Big Bear City Community Services District. Residents can make payments and check schedules online.
Things to Do Near Big Bear City
Big Bear City is a great choice for renters who like to get active. Since it's located within the San Bernardino National Forest, there are many campgrounds to visit, such as the Serrano Campground. Through the winter, there's skiing in the mountains. Big Bear Lake offers fishing, and catfish, carp, trout and bass are common. There's also canoeing, boating and kayaking. Renters can visit the local Big Bear Alpine Zoo to see the grizzly bears that the area is named for.