Find Dream Houses for Rent in Colfax, CA
Colfax is located just over 15 miles from Nevada City and is next to both the Tahoe National Forest and the Empire Mine State Historic National Park. Homes for rent in this city offer a relaxed lifestyle with plenty of entertainment. Every year the city hosts Railroad Days downtown, which has rides, vendors, crafts and food. To take in a show, renters can visit attractions like the Miners Foundry Cultural Center, which routinely hosts dances, concerts and other events.
Facts for Renters About Colfax
- The statue that stands in the center of town is of Schulyer Colfax, who was the Vice President from 1869-1873. The town is also named in his honor when he visited to inspect the local train station.
- Colfax was the first city during the Gold Rush to experience a stagecoach robbery when the Reelfoot Williams Gang stole $7,000 in gold in 1852.
- The city's growth came from the railroad that was laid there in the mid-1800s and from a flourishing agricultural sector that grew pears, prunes, and grapes.
- Both Tahoe and Empire Mine are excellent for camping and hiking. Lake Tahoe is a popular destination for skiing, kayaking, fishing and parasailing, and also has spas and shopping. Within the city of Colfax, residents can try rafting at Tributary Whitewater Tours.
Resources for Renters
- Residents who have pets can go to the Colfax Veterinary Hospital for emergency and wellness visits. Online, residents can view different services and make appointments.
- The Colfax Record is the city's official newspaper. It's available online and by subscription to those who want to stay up to date on news, weather and sports.
- At the City of Colfax website renters can pay bills, read about local organizations and see a calendar of events.