Search Beautiful Houses for Rent in Oakland, CA
Oakland is a key West Coast port city, the largest port in the San Francisco Bay Area and a major hub of northern California culture and commerce. Located directly across the bay, just 6 miles from San Francisco, homes for rent in Oakland offer residents a distinct community as well as the chance to be a part of the bustling San Francisco sphere.
Historical Facts About Oakland
- In the 1860s, Oakland was the western terminal of the Transcontinental Railroad.
Lake Merritt, the 155-acre lake in the heart of the city, was the first official wildlife refuge established in the U.S. The largest lake located within an urban area, Lake Merritt offers a peaceful respite from day-to-day city living as well as water recreation, hiking and space for picnics and outdoor gatherings.
- The Port of Oakland is the busiest port in all of northern California.
- The nearby city of Alameda was transformed into an island as a by-product of Oakland's man-made shipping channel dug in 1902.
Helpful Resources for New Renters
- Check out Oakland's official website for more information about living in, moving to and getting around the city. The city's website offers details on city parking, local happenings, local government and links to key sites for local businesses and business guidelines.
- For a breakdown of local statistics, demographics, figures and other important city data points, visit Oakland's City Data site.
- TripAdvisor's Oakland page has more details on city living, sights to see and historical monuments.
- The Oakland Unified School District's webpage offers information for parents, students and teachers about Oakland-area schools, the local school board and community resources. Find a school, specialty classes, after-school programs, district initiatives and all information about registration and start/close dates for the current or upcoming school year.