Discover Houses for Rent in Port Hueneme, CA
Located less than 5 miles south of Oxnard and a member of Ventura County, this small beach city is ideal for families who cherish living on scenic properties. Homes for rent in Port Hueneme benefit from the community's proximity to the Santa Barbara Channel and the city of Oxnard.
Fun Facts to Know About Port Hueneme
- The name is derived from the spelling of the Chumash Native American tribe, meaning "Resting Place."
- In October 1542, Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo explored the area and the nearby Channel Islands.
- A submarine canyon led to the eventual construction of the Hueneme Wharf in 1871 by Thomas Bard.
- Port Hueneme's name was changed officially in 1939, and the city was incorporated on March 24, 1948.
- Since 1998, the city holds a theme-based beach festival. It's a two-day event in late August that includes entertainment such as live music, carnival rides, games and food booths.
Useful Resources for New Renters
- The City of Port Hueneme website serves as the one-stop shop for all pertinent information regarding the city. Residents can review everything from city scheduling agendas to meeting minutes, as well as pay utility bills and report community concerns to the authorities.
- The Port of Hueneme website offers vital insight into the area, which is the only deep water harbor between Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay. There, visitors can learn more about the port itself and the international businesses it facilitates throughout the year.
- The Hueneme Elementary School District provides the city and its young residents with exceptional teaching facilities and top-notch educators who love to guide youths to success. Its administrators strive to achieve academic excellence and promote a safe, engaging environment for learning.