Discover Gorgeous Houses for Rent in Santa Barbara, CA
Santa Barbara is a thriving metropolitan city located up the coast from Los Angeles. Nestled between the Santa Ynez Mountains and the Pacific Ocean, residents looking for a city near nature will love homes for rent in this area. It's also filled with entertainment options. Animal loving renters may want to check out the Santa Barbara Zoo, which is filled with over 160 species. There's also the Circle Bar B Ranch, where there are trail rides available. The city is home to several renowned gardens like the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden and Lotusland.
Facts for Renters
- Chumash Native Americans were the first known people to settle in the Santa Barbara region. At the time, the area was covered with streams and wildlife. The Chumash were expert basket weavers, as these were a vital part of their culture. They were also known for creating cooking materials from a kind of stone called steatite.
- The Earthquake of 1925 devastated the city. It was a 6.3 on the Richter scale and demolished all of the wooden Victorian houses. Santa Barbara was spared from any fires due to a failed dam flooding the city and a heroic worker going into the gas plant and turning off the pipes.
- Residents noticed that the houses that received the least damage during the earthquake were the Spanish adobes. Because of this, the city passed an ordinance that mandated new buildings should be constructed in the Spanish Colonial style, which has resulted in beautiful architecture throughout Santa Barbara.
Resources for Renters
KCSB provides public broadcast radio to Santa Barbara. Renters can find a schedule, blog and contact information at its website.
- The Visit Santa Barbara Web page has a large list of all the entertainment options available in the city, including shows, shopping and restaurants.
- Residents will find fares, maps and schedules for public transportation at the Santa Barbara Metropolitan Transit District page.