Find Houses for Rent in Windham, CT
Windham is a large rural town in eastern Connecticut. Near Norwich and Storrs, Windham contains the villages of North Windham, South Windham and Willimantic. The town is near Route 6 for convenient travel to nearby communities. Homes for rent in Windham range from the rural areas of North and South Windham to the suburban developed streets of Willimantic. Although Windham Center may be the literal center of town, residents will enjoy shopping and grabbing lunch in the picturesque downtown of Willimantic on the banks of the Natchaug River. No matter if your new home is near the giant frog statues of the South Street Bridge or farther east in the scenic farmland, there's a place for everyone to call home in Windham.
Important Information for Future Renters
- Windham saw significant economic success during the Industrial Revolution with thriving textile mills along the river. Today, families can learn more about this at the Windham Textile and History Museum in Willimantic. Just down the street is the Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum as well.
- Windham became a town in 1692 after Norwich residents bought the land from local Native Americans and resettled. It's named for the British city Wyndham.
Helpful Resources for Residents
- If you want to take a look at the town budget, contact your town councilor or find a form, just head on over to the Windham website.
- The Windham Public Schools operate six schools in town that are open to the residents of each village as well as an early childhood center and a STEM academy.
- Some townspeople turn to The Courant for their news, but the true locals look to The Chronicle, which has been in operation in the area since 1877.
Live in Windham
Whether it's taking in the natural beauty, learning about the town's rich history, figuring out why they love frogs or just living in a pleasant community with good schools, Windham is a great place for families to live.