Find Seaside Houses for Rent in Amelia Island, FL
Amelia Island is an enchanting town that sits on Florida's northeast coast, about 20 minutes from Jacksonville. Homes for rent allow families to catch a sighting of the endangered right whale, go horseback riding along the beach or learn a few fun historical facts about the island that was controlled by England, Spain and France. Find out why Amelia Island is consistently voted as one of the top 10 islands in the U.S..
Facts for Renters
- The island was settled by Native Americans initially, who named it Napoyca.
- The French first came to the island in 1562. They were then driven out by the Spanish in 1565, who renamed it Isla de Santa Maria. The British then took it over led by the founder of Georgia, James Oglethorpe. He decided to change the name to Amelia Island, after princess Amelia of England. Later on, the U.S. took control of it from Spain, who had recaptured it earlier. The island also experienced a few bouts with pirates!
- The island is known for its early plantations, an international harbor, the state's first cross-state railroad and a Civil War fort.
- Residents enjoy riding the segway, getting some sun at one of the local beaches or catching a show at the community theater.
Resources for Renters
- Visitors can find out all they want to know about this historic island on VisitFlorida.com
- Learn about upcoming events on Amelia Island and the hot spots to check out at the island's website.
- Interested in the many battles that took place on this historic island? Do a little investigating on Amelia Island's Museum of History website to learn when informational exhibits are.