Find Scenic Houses for Rent in Belle Isle, FL
Belle Isle is a gorgeous town located in Orange County. It's 15 minutes from Orlando. Homes for rent allow families to enjoy one of two lakes located in the town. Go boating or take a dip at either Lake Conway or at aptly-named Little Lake Conway. Renters can also have a picnic in one of the nine parks to choose from or go to Orlando's Universal theme park.
Facts for Renters
- Belle Isle was initially enjoyed by Native Americans local to the area. In 1924, the land was overtaken by local Floridians who wanted to protect the nearby lakes. Orange County was hoping to use the lakes for drainage. Instead, the townspeople resisted the movement by creating their own municipality.
- Belle Isle was named by one of its first residents and the temporary mayor C.H. Hoffner. The name was decided with a unanimous vote. It means "beautiful island." Arthur Lancaster was the town's first actual mayor.
- By 1928, the town was brought back into the Orange County municipality and the prior records for Belle Isle were eliminated. Yet, the country tried to repurpose the lakes for drainage again and Belle Isle was reinstated. Later on, the city was acknowledged by the state of Florida. The city's government remained like that until the 2000s when a council-manager form of government was put into place. Since then, the city has prospered. Some of the area's largest accomplishments include creating their own police department and opening a charter school.
Resources for Renters
- Learn all about how this city came to be and common activities that residents take part in using the town website.
- Get the latest scoop on local news and current events in the Orlando Sentinel newspaper.
- Parents who would like to find out more information on the recently-built charter school can go to the Cornerstone Charter Academy website.