Encounter Lovely Houses for Rent in Garden City, GA
Garden City is a wonderful community located in Chatham County. It's approximately eight minutes from the city of Savannah. Homes for rent allow families to take part in many recreational activities the city puts on such as youth softball and basketball. Families can also take a short trip to downtown Savannah or take flight in an amphibious trike.
Facts for Renters
- Garden City was officially founded in 1939, but it has a rich history thanks to its neighbor Savannah. Savannah was founded in the early 1700s by English settler James Oglethorpe. He planned out the city in a series of squares to help defend it from Native Americans and Spaniards.
- For every settler who came to the area, he gave 50 acres of land. These acres included land inside the city, a garden lot outside the city and a farming lot past that. In their downtime, many settlers would work on their gardens or farms for upkeep. As the city was built, settlers began to sit within or outside of the city walls.
- Due to Oglethorpe's design, the lot designated for settlers gardens became aptly named Garden City.
- Today, it's still the second largest municipality in Georgia that does not have property taxes.
- The city also has a council-manager form of government which encourages communication between residents and the local government.
Resources for Residents