208 Houses for Rent in Grovetown, Georgia
Number of Bedrooms
Grovetown House Options
Nearby Zip Codes
Find Wonderful Houses for Rent in Grovetown, GA
Grovetown is a bustling community in Columbia County. It's approximately 22 minutes from the city of Augusta. Homes for rent allow families to sip some fresh milk or ice cream from the Steeds Dairy Farm, sing their hearts out at the Real Deal Karaoke or have a picnic at Euchee Creek Park.
Facts for Renters
- The city of Grovetown was founded in 1881. The name of the town came from the local Old Grove Baptist Church that was built in 1808. A renowned Southern poet by the name of Paul Hamilton Hayne came to the area and settled on Copse Hill. He urged the town to develop the Grovetown post office, which was officially founded in September of 1877. Charles Clifford ran the post office, the train depot and the general store.
- The railroad depot was built in 1878 and ran until 1970 when the Augusta-Atlanta train line stopped running.
- Residents from Augusta built their summer homes in the town to help escape the swampy heat in the city. They traveled using the "Picayune" train, which ran often.
- Several businesses popped up around the railroad tracks. One of the last businesses to stand was S.F. Poole's store, which now is the site of a gazebo. The town was home to many notable residents, including physicians, pharmacists, cotton brokers and railroad presidents.
- In 1942, Camp Gordon was built. The town quickly changed from an area of agriculture to a home for military families. After the war, a lot of military officials chose to retire in the area.
- Today, the town is no longer a "quiet village." It's home to several dining establishments, shopping areas, parks and two fire stations.
Resources for Residents