Discover Houses for Rent in Milledgeville, GA
Milledgeville is a city located in Baldwin County. It's approximately 40 minutes from the city of Macon. Homes for rent allow families to check out the Old Governor's Mansion, learn about the heritage of the area on a Historical Trolley Tour or take a look inside well-known writer Flannery O'Connor's life at Andalusia.
Facts for Renters
- Milledgeville first was discovered in 1803 as the people of Georgia looked for the state's new capital. Since the city was centrally located and had water sources nearby, residents believed it was the ideal spot.
- Like many cities in Georgia, the city was fully laid out and planned before it was built. It was named Milledgeville after the governor at the time, John Milledge. Milledge was also the sole donor of all of the land used as a campus for the University of Georgia.
- For around 60 years, Milledgeville was the capital of Georgia. As a result, it holds a lot of history and many well-known figures walked, or stormed, through the area.
- There are many original buildings still left in the city from when it was established, despite the fires and destruction that took place during the Civil War.
- Milledgeville has more than 20 architectural landmarks, many of which are historical sites.
Resources for Renters
- Renters can find out more about the history of this little, but well-known city by checking out the Milledgeville website.
- Discover the local school system and find out enrollment dates for students, school holidays and the dates for parent teacher conferences on the Baldwin County Schools website.
- Get your daily fix of breaking news, current events and local happenings by checking out the local publication the Union Recorder.