136 Houses for Rent in Perry, Georgia
Number of Bedrooms
Perry House Options
Nearby Zip Codes
Discover Lovely Houses for Rent in Perry, GA
Perry is a charming city that's the county seat of Houston County. It's approximately 30 minutes from the city of Macon. Homes for rent allow families to visit the Georgia National Fairgrounds and Agricenter, see a show at the Buried Hatchet Production Company, or relax and unwind at the Seasons Spa and Salon.
Facts for Renters
- Perry was founded in 1822 by a group of 20 settlers who lived in Wattsville. They developed paths and roads throughout the town to help connect with each other. The developments encouraged more settlers to come to the area.
- By 1824, most of the lots of land had been sold. Several businesses were named after Commodore Oliver Perry, so the town's name changed from Wattsville to Perry. The commodore was a war hero from the battle of Lake Erie.
- More families came to the town and a few political leaders arose. Some of these leaders included James Kelly, the first reporter for the Georgia Supreme Court and Georgia State Treasurer Edwin Mounger.
- The New Perry Hotel was built in 1825 to replace the old one. It turned into a stopover destination in the 1920s for anyone traveling from Tennessee to Florida on Highway 41.
- Since the town was at the intersection of highways, it became a hot spot for many visitors and travelers.
Resources for Residents
- Renters can learn more about the vast history of this town and what there is to do in the area by checking out the Perry town website.
- Get the daily dose of news and current events by reading the Houston Home Journal online.
- Enroll your children in local schools or find out how to get involved on the education board by visiting the Houston County School District website.