Discover Houses for Rent in Lake Villa, IL
Lake Villa is a close-knit community located approximately 30 minutes away from the city of Waukegan. Homes for rent allow families to grab drinks at the Chill Martini & Wine Bar, enjoy a scenic view at the Electric Harbor or become a certified Padi Open Water diver at the Toucan Dive.
Facts for Renters
- The land was initially settled in the early 1800s. The area was considered a getaway where tourists could go to relax and enjoy vacation. During this time, many mansions were built as summer residences for the affluent visitors. Some of these mansions still stand today.
- The area was prosperous thanks to the role played by E.J. Lehmann, known as the Merchant Prince of State Street. Lehmann brought a resort and the railroad to the community, boosting the local economy. The first passenger train stopped in the town in 1886. The train still exists today, but was reconstructed in 1995.
- One of the main industries for the town was ice cutting. The biggest distributor built a plant in the town on the edge of Deep Lake and exported large chunks of ice to Chicago. Many local farmers worked the ice fields in the winter.
- The town had notable buildings, such as a meat market, a restaurant, a hotel, an Methodist Episcopal Church, a post office and a stable.
Resources for Renters
- Discover more on the history of this village by checking out Lake Villa's website.
- Find out about local happenings and current news for the area and surrounding towns by reading the Daily Herald.
- Learn more regarding enrollment deadlines for students or when parent teacher conferences are by visiting the Lake Villa School District 41 website.