Find Houses for Rent in Lyons, IL
Lyons is a quaint village located in Cook County. It's approximately 30 minutes from Chicago. Homes for rent allow families to chow down on a burger at PJ Klem's, enjoy a filling breakfast at the Egg Beater Cafe or grab a slice at the Waterworks Pizza and Tavern.
Facts for Renters
- The village was officially incorporated in 1888, but its history goes much further back. The area became famous with the development of "Le Portage" which was discovered by the explorers Louis Joliet and Pierre Marquette in 1673. The pair left Green Bay, Wisconsin in search of a western passage to the Pacific. In their travels, they came upon "Le Portage", a small passageway that sat between the Chicago River and the Des Plaines River.
- The small piece of land became a passageway for people going westward. However, Joliet wanted to create a canal between the two waterways. It finally came to fruition when the Michigan Canal was established 200 years later. Today, a statue stands in Lyons to commemorate the experience.
- The village also boasts the Hofmann Tower, an eight-story structure that resembles a castle that was built in 1908.
Resources for Renters
- Find out more about this historical village by visiting the Lyons website.
- Renters can learn what events are going on in the area, what the weather might be for the week or just a few hot news topics by reading the My Suburban Life website.
- Discover the calendar of events or find out when to expect parent teacher conferences by checking out the Lyons School District 103 website.