Explore Houses for Rent in Altoona, IA
Altoona is located just east of the city of Des Moines, and offers homes for rent in a region filled with plenty of excitement. Renters with an adventurous streak are sure to love all that this area provides.
Facts for Renters About Altoona
- Julian B. Bausman gave the city its name. As the highest point between Des Moines and Keokuk, its name is derived from the Latin word "altus," meaning "high."
- The city was first settled in 1845 and incorporated in 1876.
- George Kurtzweil created the first commercial hybrid corn seed in America in Altoona, and is known as an agricultural pioneer for his work.
Resources for Renters in Altoona
- Renters who want details on businesses and development in Altoona can check out the Altoona Area Chamber of Commerce website.
- The city is served by the Southeast Polk Community School District. Parents can use its website to get information on enrollment and activities.
- The official City of Altoona website lets renters request utility hook-ups, pay bills, register for recreational programs and more.
Attractions in Altoona
Altoona is perfect for renters who like thrills. For some adrenaline-pumping excitement, the city is home to Adventureland. For the summer months, it has two 60-foot-high water slides in its Adventure Bay water park. It also has the Tornado, which was Iowa's first-ever wooden roller coaster, as well as the double-looping, upside-down Dragon coaster. For a different kind of excitement, there's Prairie Meadows. This track features both thoroughbred and quarter horse racing. It also has a casino with card games and over 2,000 slot machines. Prairie Meadows also has plenty of dining options, such as a steakhouse and a gourmet buffet.