222 Houses For Rent in Altoona, IA
Number of Bedrooms
Altoona House Options
Nearby Zip Codes
Explore Houses for Rent in Altoona, IA
Altoona is located just east of the city of Des Moines, and offers homes for rent in a region filled with plenty of excitement. Renters with an adventurous streak are sure to love all that this area provides.
Facts for Renters About Altoona
- Julian B. Bausman gave the city its name. As the highest point between Des Moines and Keokuk, its name is derived from the Latin word "altus," meaning "high."
- The city was first settled in 1845 and incorporated in 1876.
- George Kurtzweil created the first commercial hybrid corn seed in America in Altoona, and is known as an agricultural pioneer for his work.
Resources for Renters in Altoona
- Renters who want details on businesses and development in Altoona can check out the Altoona Area Chamber of Commerce website.
- The city is served by the Southeast Polk Community School District. Parents can use its website to get information on enrollment and activities.
- The official City of Altoona website lets renters request utility hook-ups, pay bills, register for recreational programs and more.
Attractions in Altoona
Altoona is perfect for renters who like thrills. For some adrenaline-pumping excitement, the city is home to Adventureland. For the summer months, it has two 60-foot-high water slides in its Adventure Bay water park. It also has the Tornado, which was Iowa's first-ever wooden roller coaster, as well as the double-looping, upside-down Dragon coaster. For a different kind of excitement, there's Prairie Meadows. This track features both thoroughbred and quarter horse racing. It also has a casino with card games and over 2,000 slot machines. Prairie Meadows also has plenty of dining options, such as a steakhouse and a gourmet buffet.