Search Lovely Houses for Rent in Newton, IA
Newton is the county seat of Jasper County in Central Iowa. It's located about 30 miles east of Des Moines, next to Colfax and Grinnell. Crisscrossed by Interstate 80, U.S. Highway 6 and State Highway 14, those living in homes for rent in Newton will have no trouble commuting to work or exploring their surroundings. As the most populous city of Jasper County, there's a lot going on, making it the ideal place to settle down and raise a family.
Interesting Historical Facts About Newton
- The city was established in 1846 as Newton City. In 1847, the name was changed to Newton, and it was incorporated 10 years later.
- Most people agree that Newton was named after Sgt. Newton, a member of Gen. Marion's army and a close friend of Sgt. Jasper. However, one family of Newtons in California claims that the land was founded by one of their relatives.
- On Aug. 17, 1846, lots started to sell in town. The highest price was $37 and the lowest was $5. In total, 29 blocks of eight lots each went up for sale.
Important Resources for New Renters in Newton
- Newton has a well-planned website that has everything a new resident needs to get familiar with the city and settle in. From local news to an events calendar, department contact information, videos and maps, there's nothing you won't find about Newton on its site.
- Check out the Newton Convention & Visitor's Bureau site to find information on what to do, where to eat, where to shop and what's coming to the city.
- Newton Daily News has the scoop on local happenings. It has news, sports, opinions, police and fire reports, and all kinds of headlines relevant to Newton renters.