Find Your Next House for Rent in Norwalk, IA
Norwalk is a city in Polk and Warren counties, located south of Des Moines and north of Indianola. It's part of the Des Moines - West Des Moines metropolitan area, meaning it's a great place to find homes for rent for those who need an easy commute. It's also situated just south of the Des Moines International Airport, making traveling abroad a breeze.
Historical Information About Norwalk
- Samuel Snyder built a log cabin in the area in 1852, which was the first permanent structure in what is now Norwalk.
- The community was platted by George M. Swan in 1856, who became the settlement's second postmaster.
- Swan changed the name of the town from Pyra to Norwalk after his former home in Norwalk, Ohio.
- Norwalk was incorporated in 1900, and Adam Stiffler was the first mayor. The town was only 1 square mile in size at the time.
Helpful Resources for New Renters in Norwalk
The city of Norwalk has a wonderful website that will get new residents up to speed on the goings-on of the community. It has a helpful "What's New" section with upcoming events, a "How Do I?" section with information on how to pay bills and apply for permits, and contact information for every department.
- The Norwalk Area Chamber of Commerce aims to create a well-balanced community with a high quality of life and a healthy economy. It has community information, event calendars, local deals and a buyer's guide that renters may find useful.
- NorwalkIA.com is a site that has all kinds of links for new residents to check out. It has everything from movie times to news stories, school information, church directories, local classifieds and restaurant guides.