Discover Your Next House for Rent in Urbandale, IA
Urbandale is a city in Polk and Dallas counties, located near Waukee and directly north of West Des Moines. As a suburb of Iowa's capital city, Urbandale is in a convenient location that makes commuting a breeze for those who work in the city. With the slogan of "Uniquely Urbandale," you can bet there are plenty of fun activities for families and one-of-a-kind homes for rent.
Historical Facts About Urbandale
- Urbandale was incorporated on April 16, 1917.
- The city used to have many employees who worked in the local coal mines. The mines were 180 feet to 360 feet deep. Most were closed down in the 1930s, and the last one in operation was the Beck Mine in 1947.
- Urbandale's early growth revolved around the streetcar system. The line was built to be a railroad line in 1905, but the railroad owners had difficulties with right-of-way acquisition beyond Urbandale. It was converted into a streetcar line that served commuters traveling to work in Des Moines. It also provided residents access to medical services, delivered supplies and offered public transportation before cars were popular.
Helpful Resources for New Renters
- The city of Urbandale has a comprehensive website full of information that new residents will find useful. With news and announcements, department contact information, parks and recreation services, necessary documents and more, the site has everything a renter needs to get settled in the community.
- Check out the Urbandale Chamber of Commerce site for more information about the city, including local attractions, nearby businesses and community events.
- Stop by the Urbandale Community School District site to read up on what's going on in the local schools. Parents and new students will be able to research the different facilities and look up schedules.