Find Houses for Rent in Addis, LA
Located just minutes away from Baton Rouge is Addis, a vibrant town along the Mississippi River. Because of its close proximity to the state capital, Addis is ideal for individuals looking for homes for rent in a place that has plenty of amenities yet exudes a small-town vibe. As a growing town, Addis offers a vast range of employment and recreational opportunities.
Interesting Facts About Addis
- Addis was created with the help of the transcontinental railroad, which used to carry mail, ammo and supplies for the U.S. The New Orleans Railroad Company completed its line from Texas to New Orleans in 1881, cutting through the area now known as Addis. One year later, the community was born. However, Addis wasn't officially incorporated as a town until 1915.
- The town's first hotel - The People's Hotel - opened near the railroad tracks in 1925.
- The romantic drama "Band of Angels," starring Clark Gable and Sidney Poitier, used Addis as a filming location in 1957. Many of the town's residents acted alongside Gable and Poitier as extras.
Useful Resources About Addis for Future Renters
- The Town of Addis official website offers plenty of information on the community's demographics, government, municipal programs and recreational events.
- Business owners who are interested in the growth and employment opportunities Addis has to offer can find all they need to know at the West Baton Rouge Chamber of Commerce website.
- Guidelines for visiting and using the Addis Community Center, which was built in 2006, can be found at the West Baton Rouge Parish Council website.
Activities for New Addis Residents
In addition to its storied history, Addis is home to a number of well-manicured parks offering a slew of recreational programs. The area also has a thriving arts culture thanks to Baton Rouge, placing live music, theater performances and dozens of art galleries at residents' fingertips.