Find Houses for Rent in Sulphur, LA
Sulphur is a city in southwestern Louisiana just across Prien Lake from the city of Lake Charles. This residential community is bordered on the south by Interstate 10, giving residents easy access to Texas in the west and Lafayette in the east. Homes for rent in Sulphur give families the chance to live in a friendly city with plenty of nearby schools, shopping and parks. Although Sulphur is located in a scenic rural area, the actual city has plenty of events and attractions to entertain the whole family.
Fun Facts for Future Residents
- Sulphur is named after the chemical sulfur. Now the 13th largest city in Louisiana, Sulphur began as a mining and chemical industry town in the 1800s. The city was founded after an exploratory oil company went in to see how much petroleum there was and found sulfur instead. Sulphur discoveries led to the railroad coming to the area and the current community today.
- The region around Sulphur found great success in the fuel industry during World War II and after because of the infrastructure built for the sulfur mining operations.
- Sulphur is near Louisiana's Creole Nature Trail All-American Road, which gives residents the opportunity to explore the vast marshes and wetlands of southwestern Louisiana.
Helpful Resources for Residents
- The City of Sulphur operates its own police department in addition to the parish's sheriff in order to protect and serve the citizens of Sulphur.
- Sulphur is part of Calcasieu Parish. The parish seat is in Lake George, just east of town.
- Although many of the schools are in Sulphur's city limits, they're operated by the Calcasieu Parish School Board, not the city.
Live in Sulphur
Although Sulphur is one of the larger cities in the state, it still has a small-town, communal feel with safe streets, plenty of green space and strong leadership.