Find the Perfect House for Rent in Cape Elizabeth, ME
Cape Elizabeth is a charming seaside town in Maine's Cumberland County. Part of the Portland-South Portland-Biddeford metropolitan area, it's situated right next to Portland and Scarborough. Homes for rent in the area give renters access to amenities and attractions like Portland Head Light, Fort Williams Park, Great Pond, Crescent Beach and Two Lights State Park, all of which families are sure to love.
Historical Facts About Cape Elizabeth
- Cape Elizabeth appeared as a nameless headland on a Spanish cartographer's map as early as 1529.
- Samuel de Champlain charted the promontory years later, but the land wasn't given its name until 1604, after John Smith explored the area. It was named in honor of Princess Elizabeth, the sister of Charles I of England.
- The town's first 200 years included the establishment of Richmond's Island as a fishing and trading post, conflicts between immigrants and the region's Native Americans, pirating from the seas and the Revolutionary War.
Helpful Resources for New Renters
- Cape Elizabeth has a wonderful website that has tons of links for new residents to explore to get to know their new community. It has everything from news and events to government contact information and department details.
- Parents should check out the Cape Elizabeth School Department's website for more information about the local educational options, registration information and schedules.
- The Visit Maine site is a good resource for renters who are new to Maine and want more ideas for places to visit, things to do outside, restaurants to eat at and shopping centers to explore.
- The Portland Head Light's website has interesting historical information about the lighthouse, as well as tour details and visitor guides to get new residents up to speed on this popular tourist attraction in town.