Discover Lovely Houses for Rent in Falmouth, ME
Falmouth is a charming town in Maine's Cumberland County. It's located north of Portland and south of Cumberland on Casco Bay. Homes for rent in the community dot a 32-square-mile area stretching from the coastline to rural locations further inland. New renters will love the family-friendly atmosphere, numerous amenities and plentiful opportunities afforded by the town.
Interesting Facts About Falmouth
- Officials from Massachusetts visited the area in 1652 to negotiate with the Maine settlements to become a part of Massachusetts. While the settlements were reluctant at first, they soon became part of the Bay Colony.
- Spurwink and the Casco Bay settlements were united as one town that was named Falmouth. Some speculate that the name came from the area's similarity to Falmouth Bay in Cornwall. There's also symbolism in the choice of the name, as the Puritans thought it was an appropriate choice for the last Royalist strongholds in Maine to fall to Massachusetts. It was a reminder to the Maine population of their fate and new government.
- Falmouth originally covered most of what is now Westbrook, Cape Elizabeth, South Portland, Portland and Falmouth. Cape Elizabeth and South Portland separated in 1765, Portland left in 1785 and Westbrook seceded in 1814.
Helpful Resources for New Renters
- Check out the Falmouth website for all kinds of useful information and links that will help residents get on their feet in their new community. You'll find online services, upcoming events, government resources and more on the site.
- Parents of prospective students should visit the Falmouth Schools website for information about local education opportunities. The system has received several awards - especially for the local high school.
- Visit the Falmouth Memorial Library's site for more exciting events and to peruse the library's offerings.