Find Houses for Rent in Saco, ME
Saco is a city located in York County. Nearby cities include Old Orchard Beach and Portland. Families interested in homes for rent in the Saco area will be pleased to discover the numerous activities this region has to offer. Saco is a beach community that receives many visitors in the summer, and some of the city's top activities include splashing around at local beaches, taking in new films at the local drive-in movie theater, parasailing, fishing and having fun at local water parks. There are also numerous restaurants where you can indulge in fresh Maine seafood.
Facts for Renters
- Saco was originally named Pepperrellborough, but residents thought this name was a bit too overwhelming. It was renamed Saco in 1805 and was officially incorporated as a city in 1867.
- Manufacturing was a large industry for the community in the 19th century.
- Many of Saco's buildings are registered with the National Register of Historic Places. Some of the historical architecture in the area is reminiscent of Greek Revival, Federal, Victorian and Georgian styles.
- Saco is a waterfront community. It is situated on the Saco River and Saco Bay, which is on the Gulf of Maine.
- The city has a strong public school program, but is also home to Thornton Academy, a boarding school established in 1811.
Resources for Renters