Your Next House for Rent Could Be in Skowhegan, ME
Skowhegan is the county seat of Somerset County, Maine. It's located north of Augusta and Waterville. With the motto, "A place to watch," Skowhegan truly is a place worth looking at when you're in the hunt for homes for rent in Maine. It offers plentiful outdoor attractions, fun city events, good schools and the modern amenities that renters and their families will appreciate.
Historical Facts About Skowhegan
- Before English settlers came, the Norridgewock Abenakis established a village on a fertile piece of land near the border of what's now Skowhegan, along the Kennebec and Sandy rivers.
- In 1629, King Charles I gave the Kennebec Patent to the Plymouth Colony of Massachusetts. Three million acres of land were included in the grant, and a 15-mile strip existed along the Kennebec River. After the Abenakis were driven from the area, lots were given to families who were capable of successfully creating homesteads.
- The first families in the area were the Westons and the Heywoods, who were farmers who traveled up the river in 1771 from Massachusetts.
Useful Resources for New Renters
- Skowhegan has an attractive website that's full of information that new residents will find indispensable. There, you can find town news, upcoming events, department and government contact information, and more.
- Main Street Skowhegan's website has details about local attractions, festivals, projects and other events that new residents should find interesting.
- The Skowhegan Area Chamber of Commerce's site goes into further detail about the local area and provides newcomers with an overview of the area's businesses.
- Check out the Skowhegan Free Public Library's site to access online databases of the library's contents, including books, ebooks, DVDs, cassettes and more. It also has information on library-hosted events that should interest renters of all ages.