Search Ideal Houses for Rent in South Portland, ME
South Portland is a city in Maine's Cumberland County that - believe it or not - is directly south of Portland. The coastal community spans 12.93 miles. While homes for rent can be found throughout the city, the western half also houses many commercial and industrial businesses. The eastern half offers a community college, parks, a beach, a marina, a maritime museum and more attractions for renters to take advantage of.
Fun Facts About South Portland
- South Portland broke away from Cape Elizabeth in 1895. It was mostly a residential community before World War II.
- In 1940, a shipyard was opened in the city to build cargo ships for Great Britain. The shipyard expanded when the U.S. got involved in the war. At its peak, about 30,000 people were employed by the shipyard, which eventually closed in 1945.
- The Maine Mall in South Portland opened in August 1971. Since then, it has become the largest retail, commercial and office complex north of Boston. It's one of the main amenities that draws visitors to the city.
- The Parks Department runs a nine-hole municipal golf course, 525 acres of park land, a municipal beach and more than 8 miles of walking trails for residents to explore.
Useful Resources for New Renters
- The city of South Portland has a great website that has all the links renters need to get accustomed to their new community. There, you can find everything from local news to photo galleries, upcoming events, department contact information and more.
- Visit the South Portland Public Library's page for more community events and an online catalog spanning more than 90,000 volumes.
- The South Portland School Department's website is a good place for parents to find more information about the local education offerings.