Discover Houses for Rent in Elmsford, NY
Elmsford is a village in New York near White Plains and Tarrytown. This 1-square-mile community is a mostly residential area that also features a variety of local businesses. Located at the crossroads of the Cross Westchester Expressway (I-287) and the Sprain Brook Parkway, homes for rent in Elmsford are central for travel in nearly any direction. White Plains is eight minutes away by car, Manhattan is 30, Queens and Long Island are about 40 minutes and Stamford, Conn., is only 20 minutes from Elmsford.
Families won't have to worry about commutes keeping them from the lush, green landscapes around Elmsford. In addition to the East Irving Nature Preserve and Taxter Ridge, there's the massive Rockefeller Park Preserve just north. The region is also rich with golf courses, including the Knollwood Country Club in Elmsford.
Important Information for Future Renters
- Elmsford has had several names in its long existence, including Storm's Bridge and Hall's Corner. Elmsford became the name in 1870 because of an enormous tree in the village's center.
- Because of its central location to New York City, New York state and Connecticut, Elmsford was a popular spot in Revolutionary times. At one tavern in the village's center, Betsy, a bar tender, used to garnish drinks with a rooster's feather, which is said to be the origin of the term "cocktail."
Helpful Resources for Residents
- Although not a town, Elmsford has a better Web presence than many other municipalities in the area.
- Students in Elmsford are part of the Elmsford Union Free School District. The district has three schools, including Alexander Hamilton High School, whose descendants lived in Elmsford.
- Families who want to learn more about Elmsford should go to the Ardsley Public Library and do research into its important role during the Revolutionary War.
Live in Elmsford
Elmsford is small in size, but packed with history, activities and great places to live.