Explore Houses for Rent in Lockport, NY
The Erie Canal runs right through the center of Lockport, making the city an exciting place to live. People who find homes for rent in Lockport also live just a short drive from Niagara Falls - one of the most spectacular natural marvels in the United States.
Interesting Things Renters Should Know About Lockport
- The city of Lockport came into being alongside the construction of the Erie Canal in the 1800s.
- Quakers were among the early settlers of Lockport.
- The city was officially incorporated in 1865.
- Lockport is located in Niagara County.
- There are more than 15 properties in Lockport that are on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Lockport has a noticeably Celtic influence. This is because the Irish and Scottish immigrants who came to the area to work on the locks remained in Lockport after the Erie Canal was completed.
Top Resources for Renters in Lockport
- For detailed information about the city and town of Lockport, or to make sure that you're aware of relevant laws in the area (for example, dogs must be kept on leashes), visit the city's website.
- Want to see some of Lockport's most historic buildings? Check out the National Register of Historic Places to plan a self-guided tour.
What to Do in and Around Lockport
If you live in Lockport, you can easily take a quick afternoon trip to see the breathtaking Niagara Falls. There's also a system of underground caves in Lockport that's exciting to explore. Learn more about the city at the Niagara County Historical Society or take a cruise on the Erie Canal. Residents also enjoy shopping at a variety of special boutiques and visiting one of the many wineries in the area. You can also grab a bite to eat at popular restaurants in the city - there's a wide array of cuisine from which to choose.