Find Your Next House for Rent in Melville, NY
Located outside of Hicksville, this burgeoning hamlet in the town of Huntington is an integral part of Suffolk County in New York. Homes for rent in Melville benefit from the area's proximity to the Long Island Railroad and easy access to the Long Island Expressway.
Interesting Facts About Melville for New Renters
- The suburb of Melville lies along the eastern boundary of Nassau County, with the Northern State Parkway passing through the community on its way in and out of New York City. Prior to adopting its current name, it was originally known as Sweet Hollow.
- It's home to several headquarters of both national and international companies, including Canon USA, Nikon, Sbarro, Arrow Electronics and OSI Pharmaceuticals.
- Melville was purchased by Oyster Bay as part of the First Purchase of 1653. It was originally inhabited by Native American tribes. Later, it was named after Herman Melville, the American novelist and short story writer.
Important Resources for New Melville Residents
- A few miles north lies the Oyster Bay Wildlife Refuge, which receives the most public use of all the refuges on Long Island. The facility helps with the wintering of waterbirds as well as wetland restoration and protection of the natural shoreline.
- Found in Farmingdale, the Adventureland Amusement Park has provided wild entertainment to visitors since 1962. With rides, attractions and games for people of all ages, there's something for everyone at this classic park.
- The Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum first opened its doors in 1942 and has served more than three generations of Long Islanders with the extensive history of whaling along Cold Spring Harbor. Its collections include almost 6,000 artifacts that document maritime history.
What to Do in Melville
Surrounded by towns full of entertainment and fun, the small community of Melville is perfect for families looking to escape to a quiet suburban community in New York.