Find Houses for Rent in Newburgh, NY
Located south of Albany, this city in Orange County is perfect for families looking to live along the Hudson River in beautiful waterfront properties. Homes for rent in Newburgh benefit from its numerous amenities and proximity to New York City.
Interesting Facts About Newburgh for New Renters
- Henry Hudson was the first European to explore the titular river as far north as Newburgh. His first mate's journal noted it was "a pleasant place to build a town" as Hudson's ship came into the area in 1609.
- In 1684, after the English became the Colonial government, replacing the Dutch West Indies Company, the city of Newburgh was bought for $200. The first settlers of the area arrived in the spring of 1709 - refugees from the Palatinate.
- In the 1970s, a team of volunteers cataloged more than 4,000 historic buildings in the East End of Newburgh. It was declared a National Historic District in 1973 and enlarged itself by 1985.
Useful Resources for New Newburgh Residents
- The Newburgh Enlarged School District manages the public school system for the communities in the area, including the town of New Windsor. Providing education to more than 12,000 students, the district includes nine elementary schools, three junior highs and one high school.
- The Newburgh Free Library seeks to educate and inspire guests of all ages with an abundance of educational materials. Its goal is to enrich the community's quality of life with its wide collection of works, totaling more than 300,000 print and electronic resources.
What to Do in Newburgh
With the largest historic district in the state and wonderfully designed neighborhoods like Washington Heights, Newburgh is a great place for families to call home. The tight sense of community brings residents together on a daily basis.