194 Houses for Rent in Benson, North Carolina
Number of Bedrooms
Benson House Options
Nearby Zip Codes
Explore Houses for Rent in Benson, NC
Benson is a quaint town in Johnston County. It's located only a few miles from the city of Dunn and the town of Four Oaks. The historic community has been well preserved over time with its charming Main Street that features a rare balance of the hustle and bustle of commercial activity and Benson's rich past. Families searching for homes for rent in Benson will find a friendly community with many opportunities for exciting entertainment.
Facts for Renters
- The Town of Benson was eventually named after Alfred Monroe "Mim" Benson, a farmer who purchased a 402-acre tract of land along the Smithfield-Fayetteville Road in 1874.
- Benson thrived off the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad, which passed through the town's present location in 1886. The railroad transformed the town into a commercial hub for farmers in areas near Elevation, Meadow, Bentonville, Mingo Swamp, Blackman's Crossroads and McGee's Crossroads.
- In 1889, the North Carolina General Assembly's petition to incorporate the town was approved and Benson was no longer called "that little settlement east of Mingo" or "that community on Mim Benson's land."
- The Benson Little Theatre hosts several plays and performances each year at the W. J. Barefoot Auditorium. The auditorium is a popular attraction for residents, featuring frequent Benson Movie Nights and beauty pageants.
- The Benson Museum of Local History opened in 2010, featuring exhibits on the history of the Benson community and surrounding farming areas of Meadow Township, McGee's Crossroads and Elevation.
- The Knee Deep Tavern is one of the most visited eateries in the town, offering tasty meals and a great place to sit back with friends and watch sports.
Resources for Renters
- Interested in learning more about Benson's history and heritage? Visit the town's website.
- For everyone who wants to learn more about the news and events taking place throughout the local school district, check out the Johnston County Schools website.
- The Smithfield Herald keeps residents up to date on local and worldwide news stories.