Discover Houses for Rent in Mount Airy, NC
Mount Airy is in Surry County, north of Winston-Salem and Greensboro. There are a number of exciting venues for residents to explore in Mount Airy, while families searching for homes for rent have their pick of family-friendly locations in the city. Examples of unique locations include the Mayberry Trading Post, Mt. Airy Water Collections, Old North State Winery, Trinity Episcopal Church, Riverside Park and more.
Facts About Mount Airy
- Mount Airy is the hometown of the famed thespian Andy Griffith, and the city may have been the inspiration for the town of "Mayberry" where "The Andy Griffith Show" was set.
- The community was known to be settled at least as early as the 1700s. Mount Airy served as a trading post known as "The Hollows." Mount Airy also served as the center of the trade in this area.
- The population of Mount Airy significantly increased in the 1800s.
- The city was incorporated in 1885. The arrival of the railroad followed shortly after, in the summer of 1888.
- Industry came to Mount Airy in the mid-1800s. The first cotton factory in Mount Airy was established in the 1840s.
- These developments in the 1800s highlighted progress in other aspects of city life. For example, a public school tax was passed in the city in 1897.
Resources for Renters
Mount Airy's official website enables renters to check out many informative pages on city life. "City Hall" and "Our Community" are prominent examples, and the community page breaks down into a history of Mount Airy, videos on city life and information about planning an event in the city, among several others.
Mount Airy City Schools has a website with pages on the district's academic priorities, human resources, a list of schools in the district, district policies and more.