Discover Stellar Houses for Rent in Smithfield, NC
The town of Smithfield currently serves as the county seat for North Carolina's Johnston County. Smithfield is near Wilson and North Carolina's capital, Raleigh. Homes for rent in the community offer a pleasant, family-friendly setting for residents, with parks, schools, a museum, a historical center and more.
Interesting Facts About Smithfield
- The town's history dates back to 1759. John Smith, an early settler of Smithfield, used the area of what's now known as Smithfield to operate a ferry.
- Smithfield received its charter in 1777, soon after the Declaration of Independence was signed. This makes it the oldest community in Johnston County.
- The dominant economic industry in Smithfield is agriculture. The community was undeveloped for a long time after the Civil War, but today it boasts a vibrant downtown section.
- Prominent civic organizations in Smithfield include the Smithfield Civitan Club, the Central Johnston County Rotary Club, Smithfield Kiwanis Club and more.
- The Neuse River and Little River are close to Smithfield.
Helpful Resources for Renters
- Peruse Smithfield's official website for a wealth of information about the community which will be instrumental in helping renters get settled in a new area. The site provides details about services, business in the community, town publications, news and more.
- The Smithfield Herald's site is an excellent local news source for residents. The Herald covers all items that are relevant to the community, including stories about sports, education, regional news and opinion pieces.
- More details about the business community in Smithfield are offered on the Greater Smithfield-Selma Chamber of Commerce's website. The site has plenty of other resources as well, such as membership information, details for visitors and many more.
- Smithfield has a site designed for visitors, which offers details on upcoming events, things to do in town, maps, media resources and a number of others.