Explore Houses for Rent in Mount Vernon, OH
Mount Vernon is a family-friendly city located in Knox County and a 30-minute drive north of Newark. The community caters to outdoor lovers and families looking to become a part of a close-knit community with a variety of fun events held throughout the year. Homes for rent in Mount Vernon are nestled in safe neighborhoods with plenty of nearby attractions.
Facts for Renters
- Joseph Walker, Thomas B. Patterson and Benjamin Butler were the first three pioneers to settle on the land, establishing it in 1805. Knox County was founded three years later.
- The city's name was chosen to honor George Washington, as his hometown in Virginia was called Mount Vernon.
- Mount Vernon was a village in 1830, a town in 1845 and finally a city in 1880.
- Famous musician Daniel Decatur Emmett, author of "Dixie" and many other popular songs throughout the 1800s, was born in Mount Vernon and is now buried in Mound View Cemetery.
- Mount Vernon and Knox County host many events, including the Dan Emmett Music and Arts Festival in August, the Knox County Fair in July, the Antique and Classic Car Show and several live concerts.
- The Kokosing Gap Trail is an outdoor haven stretching 14 miles through some of the most beautiful landscapes that Ohio has to offer, where bikers and hikers can enjoy the sunshine.
Resources for Renters
- Want to learn more about the establishment of Mount Vernon and the history of the surrounding area? Visit the city's website, where you'll find detailed information on Mount Vernon's past and a list of fun attractions and events.
- For those who are looking to become more involved in the local school system and stay up to date on school events, refer to the Mount Vernon School District website.
Mount Vernon News ensures that residents are well-informed of local and international news stories.