Find Houses for Rent in Choctaw, OK
Choctaw, Okla., is a family-friendly community located just east of Oklahoma City, giving families looking for homes for rent easy access to a metropolitan area but the perks of living in a smaller town.
8 Interesting Facts About Choctaw for Renters
- The city was founded in 1889 and was part of the William McClure's 7C Ranch that reached into adjacent American Indian lands. It was in 1904 that the town was incorporated and received statehood in 1907.
- In its early days, Choctaw served as a trading post and camping spot.
- Historically, Choctaw depended on the local farming community and the railroad.
- The town has had three newspapers: the News, the Courier and the Choctaw Nicoma Park Free Press.
- The Choctaw-Nicoma Park School District is the largest employer in the town.
- Choctaw is about 27 square miles in size.
- Choctaw is the oldest chartered town in Oklahoma, and despite its name, the town doesn't have historical ties to the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma.
- The town is one of the fastest growing communities in eastern Oklahoma County.
Key Resources for Choctaw Renters
- New Residents can visit the City of Choctaw's Web page dedicated to them to find out information on essential services like establishing sewer service and a driveway permit application.
- The Choctaw-Nicoma Park School District is a top-rated school system in the state. Find out more information on local schools at the district's website.
- The Choctaw Chamber of Commerce provides additional information on the community and its area businesses.
Things to Do in Choctaw
- Each October, Choctaw hosts a unique German "Oktoberfest" celebration in the Choctaw Creek Park.
- Families can experience NBA Thunder games in nearby Oklahoma City.
- The Oklahoma City Zoo also offers a fun activity for families living in Choctaw.
- Choctaw is also home to the Eastern Oklahoma County Technology Center.