Discover Houses for Rent in Canyon, TX
Canyon is the county seat of Randall County, near Amarillo and Plainview on the New Mexico border. Families and residents searching for homes for rent can delve into a unique array of destinations in Canyon. These include Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, Conner Park, Palace Coffee Company, Memorie Alley and many others.
History of Canyon
- The Pecos and Northern Texas Railway reached Canyon in the late 1800s, helping to cultivate Canyon as a crucial center for shipping in the region. The city's main goods for trade were cattle and cotton.
- The city was incorporated in 1906.
- There have been several newspapers in the city's history, including the Headlight, the Keystone and the Canyon City News. The Canyon City News later became known as the Randall County News. It later changed owners yet again, becoming the Canyon News.
- West Texas A&M University is located in Canyon. The famed university was originally known as West Texas State Normal College.
- The post-WWII landscape saw Canyon still reliant on a variety of agricultural products to sustain the city's economy, like sorghums, dairy products, grain and wheat.
Resources for Renters
- The website of the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum has pages that will help a renter learn about the history of the area. The site lists information on the latest exhibits the museum is putting on, the museum's research center, ways to support the museum, a summary and description of the museum, a calendar of events, the museum store and its catalog.
Canyon's official website has a number of detailed pages for residents. Information on Canyon's departments and government are two resources among many residents can find on the site.
Canyon Independent School District's website has valuable pages for parents, such a "Our District" and "Departments."