Discover Perfect Houses for Rent in Waxahachie, TX
Waxahachie, also known as The Gingerbread City, is just south of the Dallas suburbs. This nickname came from the number of homes that were built during the era of "gingerbread style." The ornate architecture was constructed when the area was prospering from cotton growth. Homes for rent in Waxahachie give renters access to a number of great cultural events, impressive historic architecture and a variety of acclaimed schools.
Interesting Facts for Renters
- Waxahachie holds the annual Scarborough Renaissance Festival during April and May. The fair was first held in 1981 and is based on the culture of 16th-century England. Guests are treated to jousting matches, craftsmen and lots of food.
- The city is best known for its elaborate Romanesque-style courthouse. It's nine stories tall and boasts a clock tower. There are detailed carvings along the top of its many columns that were made in the late 1800s.
- A number of movies from the 1980s were filmed in Waxahachie, including "Tender Mercies," "Places in the Heart" and "The Trip to Bountiful." There were also scenes from "Walker, Texas Ranger" and "Prison Break" filmed in the area.
- Waxahachie was chosen to be the site of the world's largest particle accelerator, called the Superconducting Super Collider, but the project was canceled by Congress before it could be completed.
Great Resources for Future Renters
- For the latest city news, a calendar of events and information on the city's departments, visit Waxahachie's official website.
- Renters who are interested in exploring the city's historic architecture should check out the Waxahachie Gingerbread Trail. The tour highlights the most impressive buildings from the beginning of the 20th century.
- To stay in the know about annual events and community groups, visit the website of the Waxahachie Convention and Visitors Bureau.