Rentals.com is a technology platform owned and operated by Consumer Source Holdings LLC, a subsidiary of RentPath, LLC ("RentPath"). The rental advertisements and related services accessed on Rentals.com or through its tools, applications or services are procured and provided by RentPath and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively, "Rentals.com" or "we", "our" or "us").
- personal and contact information such as name, email address, postal address, and telephone number;
- move-in date and demographic information such as location, gender, age, marital status, occupation, the type of device through which you access the Sites, and other similar information;
- self-reported income and/or credit score information;
- financial information such as credit card or bank account numbers;
- logs, contact information and other information about communications between past, present or potential renters and past, present or potential properties using our or our affiliated companies' communications tools (see Section 5. Communications and Communication Tools; Property Contact Forms below);
- information automatically collected by cookies and web beacons on your computer; and
- information based on your interactions with the Sites or the Other Sites and their advertising, such as search information, computer sign-on data, statistics on page views, traffic to, from and within Rentals.com or Other Sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information.
If you contact us or a property via the phone numbers provided on the Sites, we may record the phone conversation and store a recording and transcription of such call.
In the event you close an account, we do retain personal information in order to comply with law, prevent fraud, resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigations, enforce our Terms of Service, and for purposes otherwise permitted by law.
We may also collect information about your computer or other access device to mitigate risk and for fraud prevention purposes.
Our primary purpose in collecting information is to provide you with a safe, smooth, efficient, and customized search experience. We may use your personal information to:
- provide the services and customer support you request, including confirming emails related to Rentals.com's services, reminders and transactions;
- contact and communicate with properties or us;
- resolve disputes and troubleshoot problems;
- customize your experience and otherwise measure and improve Rentals.com's services;
- send you relevant residential real estate related listings via email, phone, text messaging or push notification on your phone;
- deliver targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers (if we use your personal information to market to you, you will be able to opt-out of such communications - see below under Section 5. Communications and Communications Tools and Section 6. Cookies);
- connect you with third parties that provide products or services related to moving or relocating;
- make payments to third parties through the Sites, should you choose to do so;
- request your review of a property;
- compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties;
- measure consumer interest in our products and services;
- summarize your information (including personal information) that you provide to us or our affiliates;
- help promote a safe service and detect and prevent error, fraud and other potentially prohibited or illegal activity;
- enforce our agreements, terms, conditions, and policies, and send you notices and alerts; and
- provide services as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
In addition, we may provide or share some or all of your personal information, including name and email addresses, to:
- Third parties offering products or services that may be relevant to you, whose services you agree to use (e.g., online rent payment services), you have expressed an interest in or initiated contact with (e.g., through a property contact form), or with whom you have authorized us to share your personal information.
- Service providers under contract who help with our business operations (such as fraud investigations, bill collection, invoicing, telecommunication and call monitoring services).
- Another business entity should we plan to merge with, or sell substantially all our assets to that business entity.
Logs, recordings, and other information related to communication between you and third parties in connection with the services and/or other uses and purposes mentioned herein may be stored, maintained and/or divulged to those third parties by us on an individual basis or in the aggregate.
When you contact a property, they will store information about you, such as your name, email address, phone number, etc. We expect properties to use your information solely for the purpose of your interaction with them as a renter; however, we have no control over how a given property will use your information.
5. Communications and Communication Tools.
We communicate with users, and facilitate communications between users, in a variety of ways, including but not limited to: h5 Property Contact Forms p We make tools available that facilitate communications between renters and properties by phone, email or text. When these tools are used, we may collect certain information related to the communication, like email addresses, contact logs, calling number, call duration, contents of the email communication, and call recordings. We may share this information with properties so they can manage their communications with renters. h5 Email preferences. p We provide all users with the opportunity to opt out of receiving non-essential (promotional, marketing-related) communications from us. To remove your contact information from Rentals.com lists and newsletters, click on the "unsubscribe" link that is included at the bottom of any Rentals.com email you receive.
We or our service providers may place cookies or web beacons on your device when you visit our Sites. We use permanent cookies to provide personalized features, such as automatically logging you into your personalized home page and to deliver customized services, content, and advertising. We use session cookies to monitor and improve the functionality and usability of the Sites. You can block our cookies by changing the settings on your browser (contact your ISP for help), but doing so may prevent us from delivering certain services to you.
We may use third-party advertising companies to serve ads on our and our advertising partners' behalf. These companies may employ cookies and web beacons to deliver advertising and measure its effectiveness. Any information that these third parties collect via cookies and web beacons is completely anonymous.
7. Third Parties
The Sites have links to other websites that may collect personal information about you. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of those linked websites.
Your information (other than credit card or bank account information) is stored on our servers located in the United States. We treat data as an asset that must be protected and use many tools (encryption, passwords, physical security, etc.) to protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure. However, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications, and other users may abuse or misuse your personal information that they collect from Rentals.com. Therefore, although we work very hard to protect your privacy, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information or private communications will always remain private.
The Sites are intended solely for use by persons 13 years of age or older. If you are under the age of 13, you may not use the Sites or other services, or contribute any information to us.
10. Notice to California Residents
If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to request information regarding the disclosure of your personal information by us to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to a href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org" email@example.com
Questions regarding this policy should be directed to the following address:RentPath, LLC
Attn: General Counsel
950 E.Paces Ferry Road NE, Suite #2600
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated: March 22, 2018.