Find Houses for Rent in Lansing, MI
Lansing is the capital city of Michigan and is primarily located in Ingham County. It's approximately 60 minutes from Grand Rapids, which is closer to the coast of Lake Michigan. Homes for rent in this region really give visitors the opportunity to see what this capital city has to offer. Lansing is known for its many wineries, breweries and distilleries. Go on a tour, find out how the beverage was made and even try a few samples. As it's the state capital, there is plenty of history to explore in this city. Check out the government buildings or visit the Michigan Historical Museum.
Facts for Renters
- Lansing was named after the city's first settlers: two brothers from Lansing, New York. Initially the men named the land "Biddle Town." The brothers knew the land was incredibly swampy, but they still attempted to make a profit and sold many plots of land to people in New York. The new arrivals were disappointed to find their land covered in water, but many chose to stick it out anyway instead of returning to New York.
- Lansing became the state capital after fear from residents that the government wasn't safe being located in Detroit, as the city was close to the Canadian border, putting it at risk of invasion. So, government chose to shift the capital across the lake to Lansing in 1847.
- After this development, Lansing became much more popular. With it, the community opened two schools: Michigan Agricultural College and the Michigan Female College. The agricultural school is the oldest farm school in the country. The two schools were successful apart, but later were combined to create Michigan State University.
- Before Lansing became a city, it was mainly farmland.
Resources for Renters
- Learn more about this capital city by visiting the Lansing website.
- Figure out when school holidays and fundraisers are by checking out the Lansing School District website.
- If you're interested in reading a few breaking news stories, pick up a copy of the Lansing State Journal.