Find Houses for Rent in Colonial Heights, VA
The southeastern Virginia community of Colonial Heights is located 20 miles from Richmond, Va., and is a nearly two-hour drive from Washington, D.C. Bordered to the east by the Appomattox River, Colonial Heights is within the Richmond metropolitan area, where families can easily find homes for rent and enjoy the plentiful community services and local job opportunities.
Local Characteristics Colonial Heights Renters Should Know
- Colonial Heights was formerly part of Chesterfield County, but became a city in 1926.
- The city is home to significant battles of the American Revolution and Civil War.
- A number of areas have maintained their original Native American names to honor members of the Algonquin tribe who were among the earliest inhabitants of the community.
- The Colonial Heights public school system, which serves about 2,900 students throughout six schools, is fully accredited - making it among just 36 school divisions in the state to receive such a distinction.
Resources and Local Info for Colonial Heights Renters
- Learn what permits you'll need when you move to Colonial Heights, like a pet license, by visiting the city's official website.
- Stay up to date with local news and events by liking the city's Facebook page.
- Colonial Heights has a recycling program that has significantly increased the number of recycled materials in the city. Find out more about curbside recycling opportunities on the city's website.
- Local government is a major employer in Colonial Heights and in the Richmond area.
- Seven colleges and universities are located within the Richmond area.
Things to Do in Colonial Heights
- Colonial Heights offers various volunteer opportunities, allowing residents and renters to get involved in their community.
- The city offers year-round recreational activities for families and children, including sports skills clinics and youth cooking classes.