Find Houses for Rent in Terre Haute, Indiana
Terre Haute is a city in Vigo County and is 77 miles southwest of Indianapolis. This city is home to Indiana State University, giving the region a college town atmosphere. Homes for rent in the area are family-oriented given this city's pride for its educational institutions.
There's also plenty to do. Dig into a little history at the Veterans Memorial Museum, which has artifacts ranging in date from WWII to today. Step back in time at the Clabber Girl Museum, which mixes history with hospitality. Visitors can come for brunch and enjoy a delectable sandwich, or learn about the history of baking.
Facts for Renters
- Terre Haute is the county seat for Vigo County. Terre Haute was incorporated as a town in 1832 and a city in 1856.
- This city has the nickname "The crossroads of America," because of the many railroads and roads that crossed through.
- Terre Haute is French for "highland." The name was given by French explorers who discovered the area in the 18th century and thought the land was a plateau over the Wabash River.
- This area has gone through several booms in industry. For a time, it was a successful exporter of pork. In 1870, the city became known for its iron and coal industry, becoming the third largest coal producer and the fifth biggest iron manufacturer in the state.
- Terre Haute has Indiana State University, Ivy Tech Community College and Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College.
Resources for Renters
- Get to know this city better and find out where all the local hot spots are by visiting the Terre Haute website.
- Learn about upcoming events and breaking news by picking up a copy of the Terre Haute Tribune Star.
- Figure out what children can expect on their first day of school by checking out the Vigo County School Corporation.