Find Houses for Rent in Howell, MI
Howell is a city in Livingston County. This metropolitan area is approximately 30 minutes from the college town of Ann Arbor, which is home to the University of Michigan. If you don't feel like checking out a college campus, homes for rent in the area provide families with plenty of other things to do.
Go wine tasting at Howell's Main Street Winery, which also offers customers pizza and other snacks to dig into. Tee off at the Chemung Hills Golf Course, which also is known to hold large family events, such as weddings. Snag some discounts at the Tanger Outlet Mall, which has stores for every style.
Facts for Renters
- The town was officially settled in 1834, though Native Americans lived on the land far before that. When the settlers arrived, the natives were friendly and helped the settlers adjust to the land.
- Howell was named after Thomas Howell and his father Judge Howell, a family from Canadaigua, New York.
- The area has two rivers running through it: the Shiawassee River and the Red Cedar River. Both were used frequently by Native Americans, so for years local townspeople found several artifacts such as arrowheads here.
- Howell is currently the county seat for the region, though it was initially opposed by the townspeople of Brighton in 1836. It took 12 years to win them over.
- The city was a manufacturing hub by the mid 1800s, as saw mills and steam mills began to pop up throughout the area.
Resources for Renters
- Find out a little more history on the city of Howell, or learn about Howell's township or village by checking out the city website.
- Figure out what current events are going on around the city by picking up a copy of the Livingston Daily.
- Learn more about local public schools and find out how parents can get involved on local committees by visiting the Howell Public School District.