216 Houses for Rent in Helotes, Texas
Number of Bedrooms
Helotes House Options
Nearby Zip Codes
Find Wonderful Houses for Rent in Helotes, TX
Helotes is a charming town located in Bexar County. It's approximately 25 minutes from the city of San Antonio. Homes for rent allow families to participate in movie nights in the park at Helotes City Hall, have a picnic in one of the city's four parks or try out the Marketplace at Old Town Helotes which comes to the city every month!
Facts for Renters
- Helotes has been on a Texas map since the early 1900s. The city's name is Spanish and comes from the word elotes, meaning "corn on the cob". Many different Native American tribes inhabited the area for a very long time. One tribe, the Apaches, grew corn on the Helotes Creek.
- Settlers first came to the area in the 1850s, mostly of European descent.
- Twenty years later, the town became identifiable after building a post office. Soon after, the Helotes Stagecoach Inn was created.
- George Marnoch was the first pioneer to Old Town Helotes. He constructed a two-and-a-half story building as a home, which still stands as one of the first downtown buildings for the city. Marnoch later sold a fraction of his land to a new settler, who build another two-story building in the area. From there, the city began to develop.
- Helotes became a well-known farming community that helped transport cattle from San Antonio to Bandera. By the 1920s, a boarding house, dance hall, grocery store and gas station were added to the city.
- In 1966, the town held their first Cornyval. The proceeds went to local nonprofits and was such a hit it became an annual event.
Resources for Residents
- Interested in getting your children into local schools? Find out how to enroll them on the Northside Independent School District.
- Read up on all the current news and events in the city by checking out The Echo, the town's local newspaper.
- Discover what there is to do in Helotes by checking out their city website.