Discover Amazing Houses for Rent in South Houston, TX
South Houston is located in Harris County, just south of Pasadena. The city is home to a modest population whose maxim is "Keeping in step with the future." Homes for rent in this city provide ample access to Houston's universities without the bustle of a big city. South Houston boasts an impressive school system and public library, making it a great place to raise a family.
Interesting Facts About South Houston
- When it was established in 1907, South Houston was originally called Dumont. The city was incorporated in 1913, and its name was changed.
- George Christy, the city's mayor in the late 1940s, owned a circus. His elephants were instrumental in building the Spencer Highway, which runs from the Gulf of Mexico inland to South Houston.
- South Houston is approximately 30 minutes northwest of the NASA's Johnson Space Center, which can be explored on a tram tour.
- Lewis Food Town, Inc., which runs Food Town Grocery Stores in Greater Houston, is based out of South Houston. The chain was founded in 1994.
- The first library in South Houston was founded in 1927, but was moved in 1937, 1950, 1967 and 1991. Today the library hosts a number of fun children's programs to get families involved in the community.
Resources for Renters
- South Houston is home to four elementary schools, an intermediate school and South Houston High School. All schools are run by the Pasadena Independent School District, which prides itself on academics, athletics and fine arts.
- Renters can learn more about South Houston's history, find the contact information of different departments and read recent notices on the city's website.
- To find information about businesses in the area, visit the website of the South Houston Chamber of Commerce.