Explore Houses for Rent in Petal, MS
Neighboring the city of Hattiesburg, Petal lies just a short ride away from De Soto National Forest. Thanks to the varied activities offered by Hattiesburg and the outdoor amenities of the nearby forest, homes for rent in Petal can appeal to many renters.
Things to Know About the Petal Area
- Petal belongs to Forrest County, which grew due to the development of the lumber industry and railroads in southern Mississippi.
- Though the population of Forrest County was negligible at first, it had increased to 20,772 by 1910.
- The government of Forrest County was officially organized in 1890. A constitution was established that gave executive and legislative powers to a board of supervisors composed of five members.
- Hattiesburg, Petal's neighbor, was a center of railroad activity and was home to a mill that made more than 75,000,000 board feet of lumber per year.
Helpful Petal Resources
- The Forrest County municipal website can assist renters with queries about taxes, law enforcement, recreation, voting and housing.
- The official website of the City of Petal hosts a variety of useful documents and a frequently asked questions page.
- Information about Petal and local events is available on the Petal Area Chamber of Commerce website.
Ways to Play in Petal
A number of amenities are within short reach of Petal rentals, from roller skating at the Petal Roller Dome to animal entertainment at the Hattiesburg Zoo. The Petal Roller Dome is equipped with wooden floors suitable for in-line and roller skates, with a Pro Shop that sells equipment and a snack bar. The Hattiesburg Zoo, on the other hand, lets visitors experience zebras, llamas, tropical birds, monkeys and other creatures. At nearby De Soto National Forest, renters can go hiking, camping, fishing or hunting. The forest covers thousands of acres and provides trails for ATVs and bikes in addition to foot travel.