Find Houses for Rent in Gulfport, MS
Gulfport, as its name suggests, is a city on the Gulf of Mexico complete with aquatic destinations. Between local attractions and those in nearby Biloxi, homes for rent in Gulfport are close to a variety of appealing amenities.
Interesting Facts About Gulfport
- Gulfport is part of the Mississippi Gulf Coast, which was previously inhabited by the French and even earlier by the Biloxi Native Americans. Biloxi, Gulfport's neighbor, takes its name from these prior residents.
- Some historic buildings in Gulfport have become public dining venues, including Lookout Steakhouse and Half Shell Oyster House.
- The U.S. Naval Home is located in Gulfport and has served as a retirement home for naval veterans since 1834. The establishment was founded years earlier, in 1811, by President James Madison's secretary of the Navy, Paul Hamilton of South Carolina.
Helpful Gulfport Resources
- The official website of Gulfport, Mississippi, provides online services and information for residents and visitors alike.
- To learn more about the academic opportunities available in Gulfport, parents can visit the Gulfport School District website.
- The Mississippi Coast Chamber of Commerce website offers business tools and updates on local events.
Renters in Gulfport have access to a number of boating services and beach locations. Ship Island Excursions, for example, gives boat rides to Ship Island and allows beach-goers a chance to experience the island's sand and surf. Back on land, Murky Waters BBQ serves a variety of barbecue dishes and hosts live blues music. The restaurant's menu includes classics like pulled pork, smoked brisket and shrimp poboys. Gulfport is also home to the performing arts, with Gulfport Little Theatre, which puts on a selection of musicals and plays.