Score Fantastic Houses for Rent in South Ozone Park, NY
South Ozone Park is a neighborhood in the southwestern portion of Queens, one of the five New York City boroughs. Even though it's called South Ozone Park, it's actually mostly east of Ozone Park, just north of Richmond Hill. Developed in the early 1900s as a low-cost housing development, today South Ozone Park is a bustling community with diverse residents and plenty of amenities for those looking for homes for rent.
Historical Information About Queens
- Dutch authorities awarded grants of land in Queens between 1636 and 1639. The first settlers lived in the Dutch Kills area of Long Island City.
- In 1664, the Dutch had to surrender New Netherland to the English, relinquishing their claim.
- The British colony of New York was divided into 10 counties in 1683, including Queens.
- One of the first large-scale manufacturing plants in Queens was opened in 1854 by Conrad Poppenhusen. It was a hard-rubber factory in College Point.
- The first hospital in Queens was opened by a group of Catholic nuns in 1861.
Helpful Resources for Residents New to South Ozone Park
- The Queens Economic Development Corporation has a website called "It's in Queens" that has everything a new renter could wish for to learn more about the community. It has information on everything from suggested activities, where to eat, business services, upcoming events and more.
- The Queens Historical Society is an interesting resource for those who are looking to find out more about the area's past. It even puts on tours and lectures so citizens can engage with the community.
- CBS New York has a page dedicated to South Ozone Park that has the latest news and events coverage to clue renters in to what's going on in the area.