Find Houses for Rent in Troy, NY
Nestled on the banks of the Hudson River, the ity of Troy, N.Y., is located just north of the state capital of Albany. People who discover homes for rent in Troy will find themselves living in a college town, as Russell Sage College is located in the city. Although many college students live in Troy, it's also a great place to raise a family, as it's extremely safe. Many people choose to live in Troy because it has big-city amenities with a small-town feel.
Things Renters Should Know About Troy
- The area now known as Troy was first occupied by the Mohicans, then three branches of the Vanderheyden family.
- Originally named Vanderheyden's Farm, the then-hamlet was dubbed Troy by a group of residents at Ashley's Tavern in 1789.
- Samuel Wilson, a meatpacker and entrepreneur who lived in Troy, was the model for the iconic Uncle Sam figure, which was introduced during the War of 1812.
- The Troy Female Seminary, known today as the Emma Willard School, was the first school in the U.S. to teach women the same science and mathematics curriculum as men.
Top Resources for Troy Renters
- If you want to contact your neighborhood association or be a tourist for a day, Visit Troy is a helpful resource.
- The official website of the City of Troy has information about the local government, polling locations, youth programs, dog licenses and more.
- Want to catch up on local news? Read The Record, Troy's community newspaper.
Things to Do in and Around Troy
Troy residents enjoy visiting one of the many parks in the city or spending the day at Peebles Island. Knickerbacker Park is great for ice skating, while Frear Park has an 18-hole public golf course. The Arts Center of the Capital Region is a great place to see innovative exhibits, and the year-round farmers market is extremely popular among residents.