140 Houses for Rent in Athens, Georgia
Number of Bedrooms
Athens House Options
Discover Houses for Rent in Athens, GA
In the Northeastern part of Georgia is Athens. It's located about an hour away from Gainesville, which hosted Olympic kayaking events in 1996 on Lake Lanier. The hip city is home to the University of Georgia which was founded in the late 1700s. With so much to do, it's tough to get bored in Athens. Residents and visitors can check out the area's historical attractions and blossoming gardens, check out a performing arts event or catch a local football game. Its attractions make it an ideal place for homes for rent.
Interesting Facts about Athens
- The city's oldest existing property dates back to around 1820. The Church-Waddel-Brumby House, also known as the Athens Welcome Center, is open to visitors for free. It was saved from a demolition in 1972 and had to switch locations.
- A one-of-a-kind double-barreled cannon created for the Civil War was made in Athens. It's still preserved and on display near City Hall.
- The first use of electricity in the town was at Brumby's Drugstore in the late 1800s. It was fueled by the hydroelectric station at a nearby bridge.
- The famous American rock band R.E.M had their first performance in Athens. The gig was held at a bandmate's friends home.
Resources for Renters
- More information on the history of Athens and its tourism opportunities are available on the city's website.
- The Athen's Banner-Herald is a local news source with the latest stories on politics, sports and more.
- Business information and upcoming town happenings are posted on the Chamber of Commerce website. The establishment was founded in 1903 and it prides itself on being a "one stop shop" for business in the city.