Discover Charming Houses for Rent in Hinesville, GA
Hinesville is a city in Liberty County. It's approximately 50 minutes from the city of Savannah. Homes for rent allow families to go hiking, kayaking in Peacock Creek or see the largest Army installation east of the Mississippi River.
Facts for Renters
- Hinesville was established in 1777. The first settlers to the area were just off the coast of Liberty County. The land was initially home to Guale Indians. Spanish soldiers then came to the land in 1566.
- In 1752, Puritans came to the county and decided the land would be great for settlers who lived in Dorchester, South Carolina. The settlers had lived in South Carolina for 50 years and the population became too big for the land, causing a need for expansion. The council of Georgia gave the settlers 22,000 acres to build on.
- During late 1700s, some very distinguished citizens came from Hinesville. These included two war generals and two signers of the Declaration of Independence.
- The county seat began in the town of Sunbury and was moved to Hinesville in 1837, where it remains today.
- Liberty County was known for its massive plantations. Rice and indigo were two of the main crops in the area. By 1851, the area had over 100 plantations.
- During the Civil War, much of the area was destroyed. Many settlers sought refuge in far away towns.
- By the late 1800s, the town had established local newspaper the Hinesville Gazette.
- Dorchester Academy was built in 1896 and now stands as a historic landmark in the town.
Resources for Residents
- Renters can find all the resources they need on the city website of Hinesville.
- Discover how to enroll your children in the local schools by checking out the Liberty School District website.
- Get the daily scoop by reading the Coastal Courier, the area's local newspaper.